An 87-year-old mother and her 58-year-old son were hospitalised due to accidental carbon monoxide (CO) CO poisoningpoisoning in Rua do Bairro Va Tai on Sunday, the Health Bureau (SSM) said in a statement on Monday.
The statement said that the mother went to shower at 5 pm on Sunday and after 20 minutes felt dizzy and lost consciousness. The statement said the son who lives with his mother checked on her after a while and when there was no response, forced open the bathroom door to find his mother lying unconscious on the bathroom floor. The statement added that the son immediately moved his mother out of the bathroom and called the police for help and both were taken to Kiang Wu Hospital soon after.
The statement noted that the mother’s carboxyhaemoglobin (COHb or HbCO) level was 36.5 per cent and that the son told a doctor at the hospital that he also felt unwell. He was tested and it was found that his COHb level was 3.3 per cent. They were both identified as CO poisoning cases and have been hospitalised.
According to the mother and son, the bathroom’s gas water heater doesn’t have an exhaust duct or a fan but there is a window. The statement underlined that when the incident occurred the bathroom windows were closed. The bureau said it suspected the case was caused by poor ventilation.
The statement noted that CO poisoning symptoms include dizziness, vomiting and unconsciousness.
The bureau urged residents to ensure good ventilation when using gas water heaters or gas stoves, and said that in case of CO poisoning, people should keep calm and immediately leave for an area with good air ventilation before calling an ambulance.
(The Macau Post Daily/Macao News)
Photo by Macau Photo Agency