The Health Bureau has so far received 60 applications from foreign nationals claiming special circumstances for permission to enter Macao from the mainland, a new measure that will be implemented next month.
Health Bureau’s (SSM) Control of Communicable Diseases and Surveillance of Diseases Department Coordinator Leong Iek Hou said during Monday’s press conference that the Health Bureau has so far received 60 applications from foreign nationals claiming special circumstances for permission to enter Macao from the mainland, a new measure that will be implemented next month.
The Macao government announced early this month that under certain circumstances, foreign nationals without a Macao ID card who intend to enter Macao from the mainland can begin to apply for exemptions from the Macao government’s current entry ban on foreigners, as long as they have been staying in the mainland for at least 14 days.
The new measure, which will take effect next Tuesday, will cover 1) the spouse or offspring of a Macao resident, 2) non-resident workers (informally known as “blue-card” holders) or those who have obtained an official permit to work in Macao as a non-resident worker, and their family members who have obtained or are eligible to obtain a permit to stay in Macao, 3) those who have obtained a special permit to reside in Macao, 4) those who have been admitted to local higher education institutions, and 5) those visiting Macao for important commercial, academic or other professional activities.
Foreign visitors have been barred from entering Macao since 18 March, and the entry ban was extended to foreign non-resident workers the next day. However, foreign nationals holding a Macao ID card are allowed to enter Macao. This means that all foreign nationals without a Macao ID card are currently barred from entering the city, regardless of where they have been before their intended entry into Macao.
The applicants allowed to enter Macao from the mainland will not have to undergo Macao’s 14-day quarantine but will have to present a nucleic acid test (NAT) certificate confirming that they have tested negative for COVID-19 within the past seven days prior to their arrival here.
Leong said on Monday that the 60 applications involve 76 people, comprising 21 spouses or offspring of Macao residents, 44 blue-card holders and their family members, and 11 people who have been admitted to local higher education institutions or those who intend to enter Macao for other reasons.
Leong said that the Health Bureau was still assessing the 60 applications.
(The Macau Post Daily/Macao News)
Photo by Government Information Bureau (GCS)