Skip to content
Menu

Macau 53rd Motorcycle Grand Prix declared null and void after two red flags

The 53rd Macau Motorcycle Grand Prix  was declared today null and void  after two red flags meant that the race was called off for a second time and then cancelled.

ARTICLE BY

PUBLISHED

READING TIME

Less than 1 minute Minutes

ARTICLE BY

PUBLISHED

READING TIME

Less than 1 minute Minutes

UPDATED: 22 Dec 2023, 8:16 am

The 53rd Macau Motorcycle Grand Prix  was declared today null and void  after two red flags meant that the race was called off for a second time and then cancelled.

According to the regulations to declare a result of a grand prix , three laps have to be completed an it didnt happen on Saturday race.

“There is not a result,” said a spokesperson for the organisers to South China Morning Post (SCMP). “There will be no podium.”

Michael Rutter was leading the race when the bikes went in for a second time, having outfoxed teammate Peter Hickman at the restart.

view.gifHickman had been in pole when the race originally started and was leading into the third lap when a crash involving Robert Hodson and Marek Cerveny caused the race to be stopped for the bikes and the track to be cleared.

Another massive multi-motorbike pile-up saw the race stopped for a second time, bringing an end to the day’s racing.

The bikes were back in the pits with seven laps still to go of the race on the live broadcast.

According to SCMP there was initially speculation that the race could have been rescheduled for Sunday but the second red flag made that more difficult and the decision was taken to cancel the race.

Organisers said that Sunday’s packed schedule – featuring the Formula 3 Grand Prix, a pair of World Touring Car Cup races and the FIA GT World Cup final – was too tight to find a window for the Motorcycling as well.

None of the injured riders had life threatening injuries.

UPDATED: 22 Dec 2023, 8:16 am

Send this to a friend