- 2 cups of almond flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 1 vegan egg (2 tsp chia seeds)
- 1 tsp of olive oil
Many people are looking for ways to cut back on their carbohydrate intake and, as a chef, finding alternative ingredients to use in familiar dishes is part of the fun! I strive to help people get all the flavour and joy out of their meals while balancing health concerns and dietary requirements.
Made with almonds instead of flour or wheat, this low-carb, gluten-free take on the much loved tortilla delivers a flavourful base for all kinds of delicious creations – the variations are as endless as your imagination.
1. Mix the vegan egg, almond milk and olive oil in a bowl.
2. In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Stir in almond milk, egg and oil.
3. Turn onto a floured surface.
4. Knead 10-12 times, adding a little flour or water if needed to achieve a smooth dough.
5. Let rest for 10 minutes.
6. Divide dough into 6 portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 7- to 8- inch circle.
7. In a greased cast-iron skillet (note: any heavy skillet will do), cook tortillas over medium heat until lightly browned (around 1 minute on each side).
8. Serve warm.
Ideas for healthy, delicious fillings:
1. Turkey slices
3. Goat cheese, apple, walnut and lemon honey
4. Greek yogurt, fig, and pecan-maple syrup