Skip to content
Menu

Leaking batteries possible cause of Macau warehouse blaze

The Fire Service (CB) said Wednesday that according to a preliminary investigation a huge blaze that gutted a warehouse early Wednesday morning in Areia Preta was possibly the result of leaking rechargeable batteries. The property, which was completely destroyed by the fire, is owned by a transportation company. The Fire Service made the statement Wednesday […]

ARTICLE BY

PUBLISHED

READING TIME

Less than 1 minute Minutes

ARTICLE BY

PUBLISHED

READING TIME

Less than 1 minute Minutes

UPDATED: 22 Dec 2023, 5:49 am

The Fire Service (CB) said Wednesday that according to a preliminary investigation a huge blaze that gutted a warehouse early Wednesday morning in Areia Preta was possibly the result of leaking rechargeable batteries.

The property, which was completely destroyed by the fire, is owned by a transportation company.

The Fire Service made the statement Wednesday afternoon after the blaze was finally extinguished. No one was injured in the accident.

At about 6:20 a.m. the Fire Service received a report that a warehouse in Rua Seis do Barro da Areia Preta was on fire. A petrol station is located close to the warehouse.

Talking to reporters at the scene at about 10 a.m., when there were still some smoldering fires, a Fire Service spokesperson said that after receiving the emergency call firefighters rushed to the scene and after 15 minutes they had the blaze under control.

The spokesperson said that as there were many objects such as wood, furniture and rechargeable batteries kept in the 1,200-square-metre warehouse, the firefighters remained at the scene several hours after the fire had been extinguished to prevent any further outbreaks and continued to hose the site down to prevent it from overheating.

The spokesman also said the company owned three lorries – two in the warehouse which were badly damaged and one parked outside which was slightly damaged by the fire – adding that the company’s office went up in flames and was completely destroyed.

“Two employees who are blue-card holders were able to leave the warehouse before the fire had become too fierce thus no one was injured,” the spokesperson said.
Non-local workers are informally known as blue-card holders.

The spokesperson also said that some residents heard a loud noise that sounded like an explosion, which possibly came from the rechargeable batteries. There was no need to evacuate nearby residents.

According to the statement, nine fire engines arrived at the scene and the firemen used water fog applicators to extinguish the fire. (macaunews/macaupost)

UPDATED: 22 Dec 2023, 5:49 am

Send this to a friend