The Novel Coronavirus Response and Coordination Centre announced today that Macau’s 28th confirmed novel coronavirus patient was discharged today and transferred to Centro Clínico de Saúde Pública for a further 14-day recovery isolation period.
Macau’s 16th discharged patient – the 28th confirmed COVID-19 case – is an 18-year-old male Macau resident studying in the United Kingdom who returned to Macau via Macao Airport on 22 March.
On March 24, his nasopharyngeal swab nucleic acid test came back positive, and three chest CT pneumonia examinations on March 25 confirmed he had the novel coronavirus. After 23 days of hospitalisation, while undergoing antiviral and symptomatic supportive treatment, his clinical condition was stable – no fever present, his respiratory symptoms had improved and chest imaging showed no signs of pneumonia. He received three nasopharyngeal swab nucleic acid tests which came back negative on April 10, 12 and 14, meeting discharge criteria.
Macau’s last discharged patients were on April 14. In total, 16 patients have been discharged – seven tourists from Wuhan, seven locals and two non-residents. Only 29 COVID-19 patients are still in isolation.
Nearly all of Macau’s novel coronavirus cases have been imported, with the second wave beginning March 15.
Macau’s first novel coronavirus case was registered on January 22. There have been no new novel coronavirus cases since April 8.
Another hotel no longer for quarantine
Meanwhile, Inês Chan Lou, head of the Licensing and Inspection Department of the Macau Government Tourism Office (MGTO), said that the Jai Alai Hotel – near the maritime terminal on Macau peninsula – which had been used for quarantine, has been emptied today.
The 132-room Jai Alai Hotel had been used for medical observations since March 27.
The Health Bureau (SSM) is supervising the cleaning and disinfection of the hotel.
The hotel will no longer be used as a quarantine hotel.
While the stay at a quarantine hotel is free of charge for local residents, non-locals need to pay 5,600 patacas (US$700) for the 14-day stay.
Lou also said during a press conference that, at present, there are a total of 437 people in the 3 hotels for quarantine and among them are 235 Macau residents, with most being local students who returned from overseas. Anyone diagnosed with COVID-19 during their quarantine hotel stay is immediately transferred to the isolation ward of the public Conde de S. Januário Hospital Centre.
Home quarantine is no longer practised in Macau.
Macau has 45 confirmed novel coronavirus disease cases with no fatalities. Sixteen of the patients have meanwhile been discharged from hospital.