Skip to content
Menu

Labour Bureau reaches out to former Suncity employees

Finance chief Lei Wai Nong urges defunct junket operator to respect staffers’ rights, undertakes to work to boost the economy with more infrastructure projects.

ARTICLE BY

PUBLISHED

READING TIME

Less than 1 minute Minutes

Finance chief Lei Wai Nong urges defunct junket operator to respect staffers’ rights, undertakes to work to boost the economy with more infrastructure projects.

ARTICLE BY

PUBLISHED

READING TIME

Less than 1 minute Minutes

UPDATED: 22 Dec 2023, 4:47 am

Secretary for Economy and Finance Lei Wai Nong said yesterday he believed that the termination of junket operator Sun City Gaming Promotion Company Limited’s business operations would adversely affect the unemployment rate – which currently stands at 3.8 per cent – “more or less”.

Lei pledged that the government will continue to provide support for affected former employees in need.

Lei’s remarks came after the junket operator announced the immediate termination of its business last Friday.

The Labour Affairs Bureau (DSAL) yesterday opened special counters at the Tai Peng Industrial Building to provide support services for employees of Sun City Gaming Promotion Company Limited, such as legal consultancy on labour rights, job seeking, and information on occupational training.

According to the DSAL, 25 people sought legal advice on labour rights, while 48 submitted complaints concerning unpaid wages, compensation for dismissal and holidays. 

The bureau said that 23 registered with its job-seeking service. In addition, 15 ex-Suncity staff asked for information on occupational training courses, and eight signed up.

Lei said that the termination of business operations by a junket operator will not affect staff who had worked in the VIP rooms as they are actually employed by the casino operators, such as table game dealers, supervisors, and security guards.

For employees who were directly hired by the junket operator, such as drivers and gaming hosts , Lei said, the junket operator must fulfil their responsibility to protect labour rights.

Lei also underlined that the government has been in talks with Suncity urging it to respect its employees’ labour rights.

The policy secretary said that the DSAL, which he oversees, will continue its work to support the affected employees.

Lei pledged that the government will continue to boost the economy so as to protect local residents’ employment in two aspects, namely to expand its investments in public infrastructure projects and to attract visitors from more destinations.

Since the Covid-19 pandemic early last year, mainlanders have accounted for over 90 per cent of visitor arrivals to Macao.

The policy secretary also said he disagreed with some views from civil society that the Suncity incident was a hard blow to Macao’s gaming industry.

Suncity went belly-up after its sole owner, junket mogul Alvin Chau Cheok Wa, was remanded in custody late last month for alleged organised crime, money laundering and illegal gambling operations. He and his alleged 10 accomplices face lengthy prison sentences, The Macau Post Daily reported.

 

UPDATED: 22 Dec 2023, 4:47 am

Send this to a friend