Macau’s annual Global Gaming Expo (G2E) Asia exhibition has been postponed again due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this time to December 1-3.
The G2E organisers – the American Gaming Association (AGA) and Reed Exhibitions – announced the second postponement in a statement received by the Macau Post Daily today.
“Based on our continued monitoring of the global health crisis, and in consultation with our customers and the Macau government, we have made the difficult decision to postpone G2E Asia to December,” the statement said.
This year’s G2E Asia at The Venetian in Cotai had initially been slated for May 19-21. However, as the novel coronavirus continued to spread first regionally and then globally, the event was earlier this year rescheduled for July 28-30.
“Unfortunately, due to the COVID-19 pandemic and continued travel and commercial restrictions, it is not possible to hold G2E Asia as originally [i.e. after the first postponement] planned.
“G2E Asia, and its organisers the American Gaming Association and Reed Exhibitions, are grateful for your continued support and apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause,” today’s statement said.
“We look forward to continuing to support Macau’s resilient gaming industry and its recovery when we reconvene in December,” the statement added in an optimistic tone.
According to Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau (DICJ) data, local casinos’ gross gaming revenue (GGR) fell 79.7 per cent year-on-year to MOP 5.25 billion (US$657 million) in March. GGR in the first quarter dropped 60.0 per cent year-on-year to MOP 30.48 billion.
Macau had 41 casinos at the end of March, four of which had their operations suspended, according to the DICJ website. Macau’s casinos were closed by government order for 15 days in February as a part of the government’s strict anti-COVID-19 measures.
(The Macau Post Daily/Macau News)
PHOTO © GGRAsia