Number of Taipa market bidders drops by 30%
Only 28 bidders for the first phase of this year’s Taipa market, which is a 30% decrease year-on-year.
There were 28 bidders for the first phase of this year’s Taipa market, which is a 30 per cent decrease year-on-year, according to a Municipal Affairs Bureau’s (IAM) statement on Wednesday.
The statistics were provided during Wednesday’s lucky draw for this year’s first phase of Taipa market at the Activity Centre of Patane Municipal Market.
According to the statement, the first phase of the Taipa market takes place between 24 January and 20 June, every Sunday and public holiday in Largo dos Bombeiros in Taipa.
The statement noted that there will be 23 booths at the market and there were 28 applicants. The statement pointed out that in the 2019 second phase, there were 64 applicants and in the first phase in 2020 there were 40 applicants.
The head of Municipal Affairs Bureau (IAM) Vender Division Kam Chi Wai told reporters on Wednesday on the sidelines of the lucky draw that four of the 23 vendors were invited by the bureau to continue running their booths at the market because their attendance rate reached 96.25 per cent last time they participated.
Kam said last year due to the novel coronavirus pandemic, the first phase of the Taipa market was cut short, adding that it was in the middle of last year that the bureau decided to resume the market. Kam also said that now that the novel coronavirus is more “under control” his bureau decided to resume the market as well as the drawing ceremony.
Kam stressed that the bureau will follow the Health Bureau’s (SSM) guidelines when holding the Taipa market. Kam said that the reason the number of applicants decreased this year could be because people were still worried about the virus. Kam noted that at its peak there were over 100 applicants for Taipa market booths.
(The Macau Post Daily/Macao News)
Photo by Exmoo