The online video of a dangerous prank in which a teenager throws a looped scarf over the head of the victim and when the scarf reaches the victim’s ankles the perpetrator pulls the scarf backwards causing the victim to fall is circulating on the Internet, and the Judiciary Police (PJ) are urging again Macau’s youngsters not to mimic the prank.
The “Scarf Tripping” prank is similar to the infamous “Tripping Jump Challenge”, another video circulating on the Internet. The Judiciary Police issued a warning about the “Tripping Jump Challenge” earlier this month.
According to a PJ statement on Saturday, the purpose of the new game is the same as the “Tripping Jump Challenge”, which is to make the victim lose balance and fall.
The latest video shows that the “Scarf Tripping” prank is happening in many different places, where victims have fallen, some of whom have sustained physical injuries, some of which could result in disability and even death, the statement warned.
The PJ statement strongly urged schools to strengthen pupils’ awareness of safety and prevent teenagers from imitating prank games that could lead to tragic events. The schools should provide parents with the relevant information, the statement said.
According to the statement, if the prank causes bodily harm to another person, the offender faces up to 10 years in prison.
The Judiciary Police said in the statement that they have also notified the Education and Youth Affairs Bureau (DSEJ) about the matter. The bureau sent reminders to schools and parents’ associations to be vigilant and pay attention to pupils’ safety.
The bureau said in the statement that it would continue to closely monitor and evaluate the matter, and keep in touch with the police about the situation and jointly educate youths to reject pranks.
The DSEJ statement added that the bureau has uploaded video clips of indoor exercises that parents can do at home with their children, as school has been suspended since January as part of the government’s effort to fight the COVID-19 epidemic.
According to Dr Adrian Wong on the RojakPOT website on Thursday: “After the big public uproar – thanks to everyone sharing about this issue! – TikTok finally announced that they are banning Skull Breaker / Tripping Jump videos!”
The Macau Post Daily wrote about the Skull Breaker Challenge last Monday.
(The Macau Post Daily/Macau News)
PHOTO © Unsplash