Ten distinguished citizens and a dozen organisations have been recognised for their achievements, outstanding contributions and distinguished service to society in Macao’s 2021 Honours List.
The private Kiang Wu Hospital and businessman-cum-civic leader Chui Sai Cheong received the Golden Lotus Decoration of Honour, the city’s second-highest decoration. Chui is the vice-president of the Macao Legislative Assembly (AL) and is a senior member of a raft of business and community organisations.
Medals of Merit were awarded to:
– University of Macau’s State Key Laboratory of Quality Research in Chinese Medicine;
– Macau University of Science and Technology’s State Key
– Laboratory of Quality Research in Chinese Medicines;
– Emergency Department of the Conde de São Januário Hospital Centre;
– University of Macau’s Vice-Rector Rui Martins;
– Businessmen U Seng Pan (an internationally renowned integrated circuit specialist) and Wu Tat Chong (known for his contributions to promoting Macao’s economic diversification and sustainable development);
– Pastry chain store Cinco de Outubro Pastelaria (Macao), Limitada; artist-cum-publisher Chui Weng Chi;
– Award-winning designer Au Chon Hin;
– Medal-winning karateka Kuok Kin Hang;
– The Laboratory Division of the Municipal Affairs Bureau;
– Macau Association of Mutual Help of Myanmar Overseas Chinese;
– Community worker Cheong Lai Chan, a former vice-president of the General Union of Neighbourhood Associations of Macau (Kai Fong).
Five police units were awarded the Medal for Bravery: the Civil Protection Operations Centre of the Unitary Police Service; Macau Police Department of the Public Security Police Force (PS); Islands Police Department of the PSP; Special Police Unit of the PSP; and the Judiciary Police (PJ) Crisis Response and Command Centre.
Certificates of Merit were awarded to Special Olympics medallist Chen Yu Chia and medal-winning swimmer Chen Pui Lam.
Macao’s highest decoration – Grand Lotus – was not awarded this time.
The Honours List is based on recommendations by the government-appointed Medals and Honorary Titles Nomination Committee, The Macau Post Daily reported.