Skip to content
Menu

First local dengue case this year confirmed

The Health Bureau (SSM) confirmed the first locally-infected dengue fever case this year.

ARTICLE BY

PUBLISHED

READING TIME

Less than 1 minute Minutes

ARTICLE BY

PUBLISHED

READING TIME

Less than 1 minute Minutes

UPDATED: 22 Dec 2023, 5:50 am

The Health Bureau (SSM) confirmed the first locally-infected dengue fever case this year.

According to the Macau Post Daily, a SSM statement identified the victim as a 60-year-old local man living in Rua da Praia do Manduco.

The victim began to run a fever and suffer muscle and joint pains on Thursday. On Sunday, the man came out in a rash and went to the private Kiang Wu Hospital for treatment, according to the statement.

The bureau’s Public Health Laboratory confirmed on Monday that the patient has been infected by grade II of dengue fever, the statement said.

As the man had not left Macau before the symptoms started, the bureau classified his condition as a locally-infected case, the statement said, adding that it was the first locally-infected case this year.

The statement pointed out that the man’s condition has meanwhile improved, adding that his family members and colleagues have so far not shown any symptoms of dengue fever.

According to the statement, the bureau is looking to identify the location where the victim was infected with the disease, which in rare cases can be fatal.

UPDATED: 22 Dec 2023, 5:50 am

Send this to a friend