Chief Executive Fernando Chui Sai On said Wednesday he does not think that the UNESCO-listed Macau Historic Centre will be removed from the UNESCO World Heritage Site listing, so he doesn’t worry about the matter.
Chief Executive Chui Sai On said Wednesday he does not think that the UNESCO-listed Macau Historic Centre will be removed from the UNESCO World Heritage Site listing, so he doesn’t worry about the matter.
Chui spoke to reporters at the airport before departing for a working two-day visit to Shanghai.
The UNESCO World Heritage Committee last month released draft decisions which expressed concern about the state of preservation of some local heritage sites
The UNESCO World Heritage Committee raised concerns in its draft decisions about a high-rise building at Fisherman’s Wharf and a long-abandoned high-rise construction project near the top of Guia Hill
When asked by the media about the preservation of local heritage sites, Chui noted that since the Historic Centre of Macau was listed as a UNESCO site in 2005, the local government has been in close contact with UNESCO. He added that the local government has often invited UNESCO experts to visit Macau, with the aim of allowing them to gain a better understanding of how the local government has protected the city’s cultural heritage sites.
According to The Macau Post Daily Chui stressed that the government is responsible for the preservation of cultural heritage sites in the city, adding that the government would never do anything to jeopardise the UNESCO listing of the Historic Centre of Macau.