Macao was on high alert today after health officials ordered the entire population to take a daily RAT over the next three days (30 October through 1 November), and anybody who had spent more than 30 minutes in the MGM casino between 27 and 29 October to take five NATs over the next seven days.
Around 300,000 people have already done their RATs today and no positive cases have been reported so far.
There are now five Red Zones in the city, and normal life is being upended once again.
MGM Cotai, where hundreds flocked to celebrate Oktoberfest over the past days has closed, with the casino, shops and restaurants shuttered; the Lusofonia Festival has come to an abrupt halt; and the Ilha Verde Secondary School, where two of the recent case students were reported will have classes suspended for the next five days.
Around 1,000 teachers and students have had their Health Codes turn yellow as a result and 90 have been sent to medical observation. They will also need to undergo five NATs over the next seven days to be sure they have not contracted the virus.
There are currently three Key Zones in Macao where 80,000 people will have to undergo daily NATs for three consecutive days.
Health Bureau Director Alvis Lo said: “We will do our utmost to solve the situation without impacting the social and economic life of the city, so no overly rigorous measures will be taken.
“Once the RATs are concluded in the next three days we can decide on the next step. The source is clear, and the transmission chain is clear.”
MGM Cotai is not accepting new guests and an unknown number already staying in the hotel are not allowed to leave. The following areas are currently locked down (all in the northern part of the Macao peninsula):
– Fai Chi Kei: Rua Um do Bairro da Concórdia 3-9, Rua Dois do Bairro da Concórdia 4-10, Edifīcio Weng Heng;
– Fai Chi Kei: Rua Um do Bairro da Concórdia 11-15, Rua Dois do Bairro da Concórdia 12-16, Edifīcio Weng Heng;
– Fai Chi Kei: Rua Um do Bairro da Concórdia 1, Rua do Comandante João Belo 14-22 , Rua Dois do Bairro da Concórdia 2, Edifīcio Weng Heng;
– Areia Preta: Rua do Mercado de lao Hon 34-50, Rua da Saúde 45-89, Edifīcio Lai Va San Chun (Block 1), Bairro Iao Hon Municipal Market
– Opposite the border gate: Estrada dos Cavaleiros 115, Edifīcio Arco Íris (Block 1)
Starting from 6 pm this evening and for the next five days, travellers headed to and from Zhuhai are required to present a NAT result valid for 24 hours to the border checkpoint authorities.
The MGTO is studying whether group tours from mainland China will go ahead as planned next month.