Skip to content
Menu

DSEJ says no date yet for schools to resume classes

There is still no date yet for schools to resume classes, the Education and Youth Affairs Bureau (DSEJ) said in a statement on Wednesday.

ARTICLE BY

PUBLISHED

READING TIME

Less than 1 minute Minutes

ARTICLE BY

PUBLISHED

READING TIME

Less than 1 minute Minutes

There is still no date yet for schools to resume classes, the Education and Youth Affairs Bureau (DSEJ) said in a statement on Wednesday, in response to reports that the government had already come up with a “back-to-school” date.

“Reports circulating online or among the public about a resumption date for classes are not true,” the statement said, adding that the public should pay attention to announcements made by the government.

According to the statement, the bureau has been in meetings with representatives from the education sector and associations for the past two days regarding the resumption of school classes.

The statement said that at the meetings, DSEJ officials have reiterated there is still no schedule for class resumption, and any decision on the matter will be based on the future development of the COVID-19 situation in Macau and nearby regions.

The statement pointed out that when a date has been set for classes to resume, the public will be informed about the decision at least 14 days before the resumption date, and schools will be allowed flexibility based on their specific situation when to resume their classes.

According to the statement, the meeting also talked about the work before and after classes are resumed, such as novel coronavirus prevention hygiene in schools; adjustment of class and teaching, flexible arrangements for pupils5 evaluation; school meals, nap time and school bus arrangements, adjustment for leisure activities, PE classes and competitions; co-ordination of school hours to avoid rush hours; and exam preparations.

The statement quoted DSEJ Director Lou Pak Sang as saying that all the arrangements would be based on the principle of adhering to the “no gatherings” where possible to reduce the risk of cross-infection or the spreading of the novel coronavirus.

In addition, the statement said that what pupils learn at home while their schools are closed won’t be considered for their tests or scores.

When classes resume, the bureau would provide schools with COVID-19 prevention supplies, the statement said, urging schools to make their own preparations so as to meet all the necessary requirements when classes resume.

Macau’s schools have been closed since the Chinese New Year holiday that began late last month.

(The Macau Post Daily/Macau News)
PHOTO © Baha’i Blog

Send this to a friend