A case of collective viral gastroenteritis (also known as stomach flu) involving five children from Mong Ha Nursery in Areia Preta was reported to the Health Bureau (SSM) on Thursday, according to a SSM statement.
The statement noted that the first patient vomited in class on Monday, then the other four children started to show stomach flu symptoms such as vomiting, fever, stomach ache, and diarrhoea. The statement noted that one of the children was hospitalised due to frequent vomiting and having a high fever.
The statement noted that the norovirus and rotavirus are common causes of stomach flu, pointing out that they are usually active during the autumn and winter months. The statement stressed that the norovirus is highly contagious, especially in retirement homes and schools and through contaminated food or water. The statement noted that the norovirus has a 24 to 48 hour incubation period.
Furthermore, the statement underlined that the rotavirus is more common among children aged six months to two years. The statement noted that the two viruses have similar symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhoea, stomach ache and fever, adding that the illness could last for up to five days.
The bureau urged people to be more aware of personal hygiene and not to attend work or school if they have symptoms of stomach flu. The statement said that if there are any multiple cases of stomach flu at a particular venue, please contact 2870 0800.