A 60-year-old local man died on Friday after “possibly” suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning in his flat near Triangle Garden, the Public Security Police (PSP) said on that day.
According to the police announcement, the man’s wife found the victim lying unconscious outside the flat’s bathroom at around 3 am on Friday and called the emergency services.
Firefighters and paramedics rushed to the flat in Block 4 of the Ki Kuan residential estate in Estrada da Areia Preta, where they were unable to detect the man’s heartbeat, and he was not breathing.
The victim was rushed to the public Conde de São Januário Hospital Centre where he was pronounced dead later that day after emergency treatment to save his life had failed, the police said.
In the flat, firefighters equipped with gas detectors switched on the bathroom’s LPG water heater. Afterwards, they detected carbon monoxide in the windowless bathroom, with the gas detectors reading amounts between 7 PPM and 13 PPM (parts per million).
The Fire Services Bureau (CB) said that the generation of the poisonous gas was possibly due to the fact that the water heater had not been properly installed.
The man’s wife told the police that before the incident, her husband had told her that he felt unwell, the police said, adding that the exact cause of the man’s death is to be determined after an official autopsy has been performed.