The city has now gone two weeks straight with daily tallies of fewer than 100 cases. The total number of coronavirus infections now stands at 4,480, with 69 related deaths.
According to South China Morning Post, Sunday’s figures include 34 tied to a cluster at the Kwai Tsing Container Terminals, where 29 workers or their family members had previously been reported infected, taking the tally linked to the site to 63 cases.
“The latest infection figures were unveiled as the city prepares to launch mass COVID-19 screenings as early as this week, and considers the resumption of talks to re-establish travel links with two of its neighbours, Macao and Guangdong,” the Post said.
It has been more than one month since Hong Kong imposed its toughest social-distancing measures yet against the virus, including limiting public gatherings to two people, and banning nighttime dine-in services at restaurants.
Dr Henry Yeung Chiu-fat, president of the Hong Kong Doctors Union, said the government had sent it an email inviting medical staff from private clinics, including dental clinics, to help with the universal and voluntary COVID-19 testing programme.
They are expected to reply on or before Wednesday.
“The universal testing is expected to begin on August 24 for two weeks,” Yeung said.
“There will be swabbing stations in place at Hong Kong’s 18 districts. Private doctors, nurses and dentists are being invited to help take samples from those who don’t know how,” he said.