The government wants to set up a “world-class adventure park” on plots of land surrounding Hac Sa while caravan camping would be considered in a project which is currently being studied by a consultancy, Municipal Affairs Bureau (IAM) President José Tavares said in a statement earlier this week.
The statement was released on Monday by lawmaker Lam Lon Wai, as it was a response to a written interpellation he made in July, suggesting the government develop idle plots of land around Hac Sa Beach into campsites after the police found a considerable number of residents driving their cars into a restricted area near the beach.
The IAM statement, signed by Tavares, says that in order to satisfy public demand for space for outdoor activities and to put idle plots of land around Hac Sa Beach to good use and integrate the resources of the area’s government-run farm, municipal park and beach, the bureau has commissioned a consultancy for the overall planning of a youth adventure camp there.
The statement says that the plan will review the usage and situation of existing resources and facilities around Hac Sa Beach to propose an integrated planning of transport, ecology, landscaping and functionality for carrying out different types of activities, with the aim of transforming the area into a “world-class adventure” zone.
The statement says that the planning is expected to be completed by 2021.
“In response to citizens’ request for a caravan campsite, IAM will request the planning team to take it into consideration,” the statement points out.
In addition, Tavares mentioned that for the efficient use of idle plots of land, while the planning is going on, his bureau would gradually be setting up temporary venues of different themes for citizens to use, such as a farm and a barbeque site that would be ready by the end of the year, apart from providing more activity space in the future for young people and families.